That’s what Rashad Vaughn has done for me.
At first glance you might watch and wonder what all the fuss is about.
Dig a little bit and you see that this kid is truly a rarity in high school basketball. Shad just finished his sophomore year of high school, a year that saw him put up right at 28 a game for the season, very impressive numbers for a kid.
To me, even more impressive is the fact that his season high was 36 season, low 17 in 2 quarters of play which shows me that Rashad is quite possibly one if the most consistent players in the country. You know night in and night out what you’re gonna get from this kid.
Then with the fact that he’s a tireless worker shooting as many as 5,000 shots a week, you see why he brings back memories of a young version of Ray Allen.
At 6’5, the kid can run anything from the 1-3 and completely control the game on the offensive end.
I guess the most impressive thing to me though is that Rashad is still only 15 years of age, making everything I’ve said up to this point even more impressive. As is, he is very advanced in his game up to this stage and at a age where you see people holding kids back 1 to 2 years just so they can look to be more dominant than what they really are. This kid has relished the opportunity to play up and try to take the fast track to basketball stardom.
In the coming years, I think we will be hearing Rashad’s name more and more, and I personally think that by the time he’s ready to graduate high school Rashad will have firmly planted himself as a top 5 player in the country.
Keep a close watch because we could be watching greatness in the making right before us every time this kid touches the floor.
1. What position do you see yourself playing in college?
Rashad Vaughn: SG
2. What is your official height, wieght, wingspan and vertical?
Rashad Vaughn: 6’5
3. Do you feel like you’re getting enough attention from schools and or scouts?
Rashad Vaughn: Yes.
4. When you think of college basketball, what are the first five schools that come to mind?
Rashad Vaughn: College basketball is excitement and the next level.
5. Have you been on any unofficial visits or plan on in the near future? If so, with who?
Rashad Vaughn: Minnesota Gophers, Iowa State, Wisconsin
6. Describe your game for coaches and fans that have not seen you up close?
Rashad Vaughn: Scorer, athletic. can get to the basket, good defense and good shooter
7. What skill set makes you so special out there on the floor?
Rashad Vaughn: Abilty to score
8. How many jump shots do you get up a week?
Rashad Vaughn: 5000
9. What’s been your biggest challenge as a basketball player so far?
Rashad Vaughn: Playing on the circuit
10. Do you have a preference on a particular style of play?
Rashad Vaughn: Up and Down
11. What makes you tick??
Rashad Vaughn: Just basketball itself, hearing the ball bounce
12. Give us the name of your favorite basketball player?
Rashad Vaughn: Kevin Durant and Kobe Bryant
13. What AAU team will you be playing for this spring/summer?
Rashad Vaughn: Net Gain Sports
14. What part of your game do you feel you need to improve on the most?
Rashad Vaughn: Ball handling and defense
15. Do you have a Facebook or a Twitter that you would like to share with us?
Rashad Vaughn: @ShowtimeMr
16. Do you have a top five list, if not why?
Rashad Vaughn: No, I want to keep my opitions open.
17. Who are some of the mentors that got you to where you are at right now?
Rashad Vaughn: My parents and a coach of mine, Peter Kaffey
18. What are your strengths on the floor?
Rashad Vaughn: Scoring and making my teammates better
19. When did you first pick up a ball?
Rashad Vaughn: 3 or 4 years old
20. What are your short term goals as a basketball player?
Rashad Vaughn: To get better everyday
21. What are some of your long term goals as a basketball player?
Rashad Vaughn: To play in college and In the NBA
22. Do you have a nickname?
Rashad Vaughn: Shaddy or Showtime
23. Give your family, friends and fans shout outs on Premierball.com.
Rashad Vaughn: Shout out to my Dad and Mom for making everything possible, my brothers Cam and Troy and Coach Kaffey for helping with everything and guiding me
24. What gets your game on fire?
Rashad Vaughn: Music or Loud crowd
25. Are you Nike or adidas, what’s your favorite?
Rashad Vaughn: Under Armor and Nike